I finished the seats by reproducing the slide systems that allow the seat to be adjusted forward and backward according to the size of the pilot.
I used 2 mm brass U-profile ordered in a model railroad shop. One of the profile is glued with epoxy glue on the underside of the seat and another one on the trunk. The adjustment has to be done with care.
In the photos below, the seats are positioned forward and backward. The fixing in position is done with a scratch glued in place in the middle of the support box and the underside of the seat.
I continued to reproduce the seats to scale to dress my cabin. Reproducing the front seats, seems more complex than the back seat. Fortunately in the documentary resources provided by the GPPA, I have below the photos and diagram of the seats of the full-size aircraft.
I have reproduced to scale all the seats, backrests and frames.
To make the frame for the backrest seat, I used 3 mm aluminium tube. It’s easy to bend and shape. However, on a hollow tube, bending leaves marks and dents in the tube. Some people recommend using fine sand to fill the tube and then bend it. Personally, I filled the tubes with water after sealing them with plastic film. Then I placed them in the freezer. After 2 hours, I was able to bend them with flat pliers. You have to go fast because it thaws quickly and leave the following ones in the freezer.
Afterwards, I cut a frame out of 15/10 plywood which will be glued to the frame and the seat of the seat.
The lower seat cushions are made like the back seat. Foam is cut to the right size. I then prepared cutting patterns and cut the fabric. The coupons are sewn on the reverse side and then flipped over like the real cushions.
Afterwards, I glued the seats in place on the plywood frame.
Then I made the backrests the same way I made the seats. The foam is less thick and should not fill the whole cover. Indeed, it will be necessary to connect the cover to the seat frames. This was done by ropes on the size plane. To reproduce this rope, I used sewing thread folded in 4 strands that I came to sew on the frame.
The seat had a front-to-rear adjuster and rested on a trunk. I reproduced this trunk in plywood 10/10. So I cut out the top and sides of the trunk.
The assembly is done upside down with the top placed on a metal plate and held in place with magnetic brackets.
I added the side parts by using metal brackets to wedge them at 90°. The gluing is done with Cyanoacrylate glue. Afterwards, I cut pieces of 5 x 5 balsa wood to reinforce the angles.
The seat support boxes have been painted in dark grey to imitate a metal frame and the seats are placed on top of them. I still have to make the adjustment system with small profiles and seat belts.
All of the elements that make up the control and motorization system are miniaturized elements purchased on internet. In the photos below, you can see the motor, which is a brushed motor « NANO GEARBOX BRUSHED » with reduction gear. It measures 26 mm long and works with lipos 1s for planes of about 20 g.
Two nano servos DYS type. They are 22 mm long and, of course, they are analog servos operating with voltages between 3.7 and 5 Volts. The 2 identical servos weigh a little less than 4 g and will have to be connected to the receiver.
The receiver is of the Deltang brand. It is a 0.65g model with a DSM2 type frequency modulation for spektrum transmitter
The set weighs 12g before wiring and soldering the elements.
You can see on the diagram below, the various connections that will have to be done. It was not so simple, because the wires are tiny.
It’s really small. You shouldn’t tremble. Nor should you have had too much alcohol the night before, I guarantee it. These photos were taken to show you how I did it with a third hand, to solder these wires on the receiver.
Additionally, I had to prepare an additional small connector to join the battery to the receiver.
Bellow are additional pictures from the various elements and the connections to adaptors to save weight.
I weighed the whole and mass is of 12.42 g and adding the propeller the mass is just under 14 g. If we add the 9 g of the plane, we get a total of 23 g, a little higher than expected, but remaining within good limits
In a previous post, I told you about my wish to make an ultra light P58 to overcome this confinement. Thanks to Christian Veyssière and Gérad Puret for their advice. Below, a first video part of this experimental construction for me. #Stay at home
I inaugurate below a new section to describe my way of proceeding and my techniques. To start, how to make a resin and fiber piece by taking for example my engine cover and my wheel fairings from my Potez 58. The document is downloadable. Good reading